Shangri-La 3 Silnylon repair with embroidery hoop to stabilize fabric while patching.
I picked up a clearance sample Shangri-La 3 at the Golite sale in Boulder on Saturday. When I got it home and set it up for the first time, I found that it had 4-5 half moon cuts from the center pole being jammed in the stuff sack after the SL-3. All samples are sold as-is and they got me on this one, fortunately it was cheap.
My first repair attempt failed using Permatex flowable silicone. I had a tube of it left over from seam sealing the SL-2 last week. For some reason it just didn't have the right consistency, and combined with my inexperience, led to a patch that peeled the first time I put tension on it. After reading up on patching silnylon on http://www.backpackinglight.com I went to Home Depot and bought a tube of GE Silicone II. While doing the first repair I had trouble with the material wrinkling and sliding around and came up with the idea of using an embroidery hoop to make it easier to squeegee the patch with a putty knife. I put the hoop on with just enough tension to hold the material without wrinkles. Once I smoothed out the air bubbles it looked perfect. I'll have to see how it works after curing, but I think I have a successful repair.